The department of Internal Medicine consists of eleven senior consultants, who have trained and worked at leading medical Institute in India & abroad. The department provides broad range of services for diagnosis and treatment of multiple adult medical problems. It includes the following:
- Management of chronic diseases involving multi-system is done by senior consultant of department of medicine, where co-ordinations between different specialist & holistic care of patient is very much desired.
- It has exclusive section called MHC department, which is set up with maxim “Prevention is better than cure” It deals with various types of preventive health checks seven days a week including public holiday.
- Infectious diseases is major problem in our part of world. It includes Malaria, Typhoid fever, Tuberculosis, HIV, Dengue fever etc. Most of these diseases present with fever & general symptoms, which are investigated in depth & treated. Sometimes times these diseases present as Septicaemia & shock.
- Management of drug overdoses & poisoning. We have very modern and world class standard intensive care unit with step down intensive care wards. Intensive care units have all modern facilities with very efficient nursing care of two to one patient & nurse ratio. It is run by postgraduates senior medical registrars & intensive care senior consultants having vast experience in India and abroad.
- Environmental diseases which include diseases due to Industrial chemical exposure, drowning, electrical injuries, radiation injuries, snake bite, lizard bite, dog bite, insect or scorpion bite are treated in department on Internal medicine.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy unit is managed by one of our senior consultants. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a form of medical treatment in which patient breath 100% oxygen at a pressure greater than the atmospheric pressure. Patient is entirely enclosed in pressure chamber & breaths 100% oxygen at a pressure greater than one atmospheric absolute (ATA). These treatment chambers can deliver oxygen concentrations to tissue at levels higher than ant existing oxygen delivery methods. ATA is the unit of pressure and one ATA is equal to 760 mm of mercury of pressure at sea level.
Senior consultant of department of internal medicine are involved in preoperative checks in addition to anaesthetists assessment to manage & pick up existing medical problem prior to surgical procedures as well as to take appropriate measures prior to surgeries. Often consultants are required to manage medical problems coexisting with surgical conditions. Preoperatively, post operatively & during intra operation period. super-specialists are also called in whenever required.